Tension Structures: Form and behaviour, Second edition
University of Warwick, UK
Price: £ 60.00
Publish Date: 04/01/2018
Publisher: ICE Publishing
Page Size: 234x156mm
Number of Pages: 232
Tension Structures, Second edition delivers a unique coverage of the topic of tension structures ranging from a variety of pre-stressed cable net and fabric roofing forms to suspension bridge cables. The emphasis is on finding minimum energy forms of these structures by analogy to nature.
Tension Structures, Second edition:
• features a number of projects detailing structural form and behaviour of tension structures
• offers an exclusive perspective that brings together fabric and cable structures, suspension bridge cables, and rigid structural forms, such as arches and shells
• provides unique insights into numerical modelling of cable and fabric structures
• includes brand new sections on modelling of suspension bridge cables and demonstrates its relevance to conceptual design of arch structures
• presents the latest approaches to patterning of fabric structures
As a permanent fixture of modern architecture, tension structures demonstrate their potential for creating aesthetically pleasing art forms and offer wonderful design opportunities that arise from their ability to span large distances with elegance and structural efficiency.
Tension Structures, Second edition compiles a vast amount of knowledge while providing an accessible entry to a rather specialised field. The mathematical expositions are set at an undergraduate level and, wherever possible, non-mathematical language is used to aid the understanding of fundamental concepts.
The book will be of interest to researchers studying tension structures, engineering and architectural students, practising civil and structural engineers, architects, and scientists developing computational methodologies for non-linear problems in areas other than civil engineering.